Designed with your comfort and ease of lifestyle in mind
At Heritage Woods, your affordable assisted lifestyle community in Freeport, Illinois, your new home awaits you
Heritage Woods is proud to provide a choice of apartment floor plans, each designed with your comfort and ease of lifestyle in mind. Our spacious apartments are designed with a living room area, kitchenette, full private bathroom and individually controlled air temperature.
All measurements are approximate, and dimensions may vary.
My Mom always stuck up for the underdog and was always willing to help out where/when needed. She raised all of us with the motto of, “If you can’t say something nice about someone, don’t say anything at all!” I chuckle at that because I’ve reminded her of that a few times over this last year.
She was an excellent seamstress and made many of my brothers and my clothes. She also used her sewing skills to make doll clothes for a student in my class one year. The girls family struggled to make ends meet and didn’t have a lot. I drew her name for a class gift exchange and my Mom was instrumental in doing this for her (and me).
- Born in Detroit, MI, 1922, to parents who were from overseas. Dad was from Wales and Mom was from UK. My Mom was only child born in the US
- Traveled West with family during the Depression to find work
- Lived in state of Oregon but returned to Detroit when her Dad passed from pneumonia while in Oregon
- Upon return to Detroit, she lived with family as well as foster families growing up – her Mom was deported back to England….
- She worked for Demery’s Department Store in Detroit – they offered to send her to school to become a buyer for the store but she turned it down. She was not interested in “going back to school”
- Enlisted in Army February 4th, 1944
- Active Duty on February 17th, 1944
- Served at Eglin Field, Florida, in Medical Section with 610th Air Force Base Unit “F”
- Met my Dad while serving and married August 6th, 1944
- Honorably Discharged on February 27, 1945 (due to expecting first child)
- Settled in Oregon, IL and built a home in a growing neighborhood. Designed much of the interior of the house
- Raised 4 children – 3 boys, 1 girl
- Was involved with Women’s Circle of Methodist Church for many years
- Served as Den Mother for scouting group
- Volunteered at local sheltered workshop for mentally / physically handicapped folks
- Went to work full time working for sheltered workshop when husband passed unexpectedly
- Raised daughter by herself
- Volunteered at local school in library / learning education center
- Was instrumental in bringing new/improved methods of working with handicapped to sheltered workshop where she was employed
- Volunteered with local Hospice
- Upon retirement, realized she was bored and went back to work part time at local hardware store. Was a favorite among customers due to her knowledge of products
- When hardware store closed, she went to work as a part time activity aide at the local nursing home where she worked until age 86. At that point , she said, I’m tired and just want to do what I want to do……
- Move to senior apartment complex in Freeport where she was on social committee for several years, treasurer for building resident funds, helped with bazaars and fundraisers and on tenant council
- Lived independently at senior apartment complex until age 99 when we moved her to Heritage Woods.
Hi, I have lived here 9 months and have enjoyed my new home so much! It was hard to get use to all the changes, but I have been treated with respect the whole time. The food is good, staff is excellent and always fun things to do. Making friends is important to me and I have made so many living here.
Hi, I have lived here 8yrs & 9months and am enjoying the friendships I have made in the community! The wonderful staff, my apartment is great and I have quick access to medical care. My children feel secure that I have a safe place to live and call home with good people to interact with.
Frank’s Story: 7 Years Strong
Why do I enjoy living at HW-Freeport and what does it mean to me?
I have been living at Heritage Woods of Freeport for 7 years now! It is my one source for almost all my needs, a nice place to live that provides private rooms for all home living: sleeping, eating, medical assistance/advice with friendly staff, and entertainment sources of all varieties. A lot of nice/friendly management personnel available to help with our questions or lead us to knowledgeable sources.
I wasn’t in a good place in my life, mentally or physically. Having some tragic life situations, I decided it was time for change. My first impression – welcomed and loved. Improved 110% physically, mentally. I’m now more social with many friends that are like family to me. My family is beyond happy, at ease knowing I am loved and safe.
Frank’s Story: A Warm Welcome Home
Thank you so much for all you did to help us get everything taken care of in order to make Heritage Woods of Freeport our fathers new home. We could not have done it without your step-by-step instructions and guidance. We also want to thank everyone who works there. Our dad loves it and brags on everything and everyone. Thank you for making this transition so easy!
– The Frank Whitehead Family
Delores’ Story: A Place to Call Home
Delores has been a resident of Freeport since 1980. After a mini stroke, her family decided that an assisted living community would be the answer. Her family visited Heritage Woods of Freeport and found it to be the ideal home for Delores.
After leaving rehab, she moved right in! Delores stated, “I couldn’t have found a better place to live close to my family.” She is very happy to participate in crafts and baking events.
Delores is pleased to have her new home with the assistance she needs.
Clara’s Story: A Wonderful Place to Call Home
A couple of years ago, Clara’s doctor advised her to look into assisted living. She enjoys living here at Heritage Woods of Freeport. Clara stated, “there are so many activities to attend. I have a wonderful and very nicely decorated apartment. I enjoy the other residents very much. There is good food, and the best part is that I don’t need to prepare it. I enjoy taking long walks and visiting with my neighbors. It is a wonderful place to call home!”