World Food Day is held annually on Oct. 16. This important day celebrates the global progress made toward a Zero Hunger initiative and highlights the commitment to ending world hunger by 2030.
World Hunger Day also makes a mission of educating and providing healthy diets for those who need it most. Nutritious foods that make up a healthy diet are not always available or affordable for many people.
Cambridge House of Maryville plans to help those in need, in our own community, for World Food Day.
We will be collecting canned and dry food items from October 1-16.
A group of resident volunteers will take the food to a local food pantry.
Our Kitchen Club will kick off the efforts by donating the items to make a tasty and healthy 8-Can Chicken Fiesta Soup.
Try the following recipe for yourself, and donate to a local food bank or pantry for World Food Day!
8-Can Chicken Fiesta Soup
Add all ingredients to a pot. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until soup is hot. (Around 15 to 20 minutes)
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12.5 oz.) can chicken breast, drained and shredded
- 1/2 (15 oz.) can green enchilada sauce (or 1, 10 oz. can)
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14 oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth (or 2 cans for thinner soup)
- 1 (1 oz.) packet low-sodium taco seasoning